Hogwarts Legacy is an Action RPG set in the Harry Potter universe. Warner Bros. is publishing the game while the veteran studio, Avalanche Software, (also owned by WB) is handling the development.
The story will include both the Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts lore and it will be based in the 1800s.
Regarding platforms, Hogwarts Legacy is coming to PC, Nintendo Switch, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X/S.
The Hogwarts Legacy release date is set for Q4 of 2022, which most people assume will be December, around the Holidays.
Since the game’s development started in 2017, that will mark a full 5 year development period. The game is being built in Unreal Engine.
Players will enjoy an open-world Action RPG with Single Player mode confirmed so far. The gameplay will take you through the life of a Hogwarts student, with school curriculum and activities seen in the books and movies, but you will also play a grander role in the wizarding world.
In-game activities and features will include, but will not be limited to:
- Creating a highly customizable character (house, gender, appearance, voice, body type, etc)
- Attending lectures at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
- Choosing one of the four houses
- Making potions
- Casting spells
- Exploring famous places from the books (Diagon Alley, Forbidden Forrest, etc)
- Changing the castle’s indoor and outdoor appearance through time progression
- Level progression (upgrading spells, abilities, and talents)
- Customize your environment (Room of Requirement, etc)
- All schools of magic from the books and movies will be available
- The player will develop their own unique spell combat style
- Acquiring, trading, and crafting items
- Magical beasts (taming, riding, and caring for beasts like the thestrals, hippogriffs, etc)
- All races from the books included (Dragons, Nifflers, Trolls, etc)
- Using some creatures in combat (ex: using Mandrake to stun targets)
- Morality System (choice affects friendships with NPCs)
- Growing relationships with NPCs (gain companions that accompany you on your journey)
- Level up companions (abilities, unique dialogue, different roles in combat, spells, etc)
The game is set some 150-200 years before the events in the Harry Potter books and movies. The player is a character that holds the key to some ancient secret dangerous for the entire wizarding world. You will also be able to manipulate ancient mysterious magic and will uncover its mysteries as you progress.
At the same time, you will attempt to get to the truth about why these strange occurrences are happening. On your journey, you will interact with some well-known characters, like The Fat Lady, Nearly Headless Nick, Peeves, and the likes.
There are many new characters, of course, new professors, enemies, etc.
The developers promise an immersive Harry Potter game. Hogwarts Legacy will put the player at the center of an adventure that happens nearly two centuries before Harry Potter, but it is promised that it will have the same importance and impact.
JK Rowling is not involved with the creation of the game in any way, besides her characters and story being taken and adapted, but to an original story narrative with fresh immersive experiences. Hogwarts Legacy releases sometime at Christmas and it promises to be another magical journey in the wizarding chapter!