How to Defeat Victor Rookwood Boss Fight on Hard Difficulty
Hello everyone. Here is a guide on how to defeat Victor Rookwood boss fight on hard difficulty. This is a mandatory boss fight you’ll encounter during “Wand Mastery” quest. During it, you’ll be teleported to an arena where you’ll need to defend yourself from Rookwood and his lot. Since this quest is quite late into the game, there are many ways to approach it and make this boss fight easier.
There are some talents that are quite helpful for this boss fight. Here is the list of them:
- Wiggenweld Potency I and II – On hard difficulty, you take significantly more damage from enemies, and being able to restore most of your health with a single Wiggenweld potion is extremely helpful.
- Swift – During this fight, you’ll be fighting multiple enemies at the same time, and some of them have dangerous spells that can easily take all your health if you are not careful. Because of that, being able to quickly reposition is quite useful.
- Maxima Potion Potency – This talent is simply amazing. Each Maxima potion you drink while having this talent will significantly increase your damage and allow your attacks to break enemy shields, regardless of their color. It will also help you against Rookwood, so don’t miss out on it.
- Basic Cast Mastery – This will reduce your spell cooldowns each time you hit an enemy with a basic cast, so it is pretty essential in almost any build.
- Noxious – This will significantly boost the damage output of any Venomous Tentacula you use, and will allow it to break enemy shields. There are quite a lot of enemies you’ll need to fight during this boss encounter, and many of them have shields, so having this talent will be quite helpful.
- Transformation Mastery – This will not only allow you to instantly eliminate one of the enemies but will also let you use the explosive barrel they turn into and deal heavy damage to other opponents. Just be careful not to use it against enemies shielded with red or purple shields since that will cause the spell to fail.
- If you don’t mind using the Dark Arts, take the upgrades for all three Unforgivable Curses, as well as the Blood Curse, Curse Sapper, and Enduring Curse talents. They will make the fight significantly easier.
The overall difficulty of this fight is dependent on whether or not you are willing to use the Unforgivable Curses. If you don’t mind using the Dark Arts, once each enemy wave appears, you can use the Transformation Spell to turn one enemy into an explosive barrel and immediately throw that barrel into another enemy. Follow this by using Imperio on one enemy, and Crucio on another one. All of this will essentially eliminate four enemies before the fight even starts.
Next, you can drink a Maxima Potion and finish off the remaining enemies with high-damage spells such as Bombarda, Confringo, or Diffindo. Repeat that for each wave, and you shouldn’t have much trouble.
After dealing with each wave of enemies, Rookwood will appear, and a QTE will start. Just press whichever button is displayed on a screen, and after a while, he will disappear.
After you do this two times, he’ll appear in the arena alongside other enemies. Simply use Avada Kedavra to make quick work of him. This will start another QTE after which the fight will end.
If you don’t want to use the Dark Arts, here is how you can defeat this boss fight. Once the enemies appear, immediately use the Transformation Spell to turn one of them into an explosive barrel and then throw that barrel into another enemy.
After that, use two Venomous Tentaculas and drink a Maxima Potion. The plants will serve as a distraction for the enemies, and the Maxima Potion will significantly increase your damage and allow your attacks to break enemy shields.
From then on, just blast the enemies with your highest damage spells, such as Confringo, Bombarda, Diffindo, etc. Once the effect of the potion wears off, repeat the whole process and you’ll make quick work of your enemies.
After two waves of enemies and two QTEs, Victor Rookwood will finally appear on the battlefield. The easiest way to defeat him is to drink a Maxima Potion and use Ancient Magic on him a few times, which will completely deplete his health bar.
If your Ancient Magic meter is empty, use Maxima Potion (if you have Maxima Potion Potency talent), Ancient Magic Throw, or Venomous Tentacula (if you have Noxious talent) to break his shield since your normal spells won’t work against it.
From then on, just blast him with your high-damage spells, and you shouldn’t have much trouble defeating him. This will be followed by another QTE. Mash the button that is displayed on the screen, and this villain will finally bite the dust.
Here are also some important things you should be mindful of:
- Avoid stepping into the Lightning Spell that some of the enemies cast. This is heavily telegraphed, and if you step into it, you will most likely end up getting one shot on hard difficulty.
- Use the Swift talent to quickly reposition and avoid getting surrounded by enemies.
- Use Accio to pull the ranged enemies into the arena.
- Remember to keep track of your health, and use Wiggenweld potions whenever you fall below half health.
- Dodging enemy attacks here is preferable to blocking them (unless you can reliably pull off perfect Protegos). This is because of the sheer number of enemies you will face at once. On hard difficulty, the enemies are way more aggressive, and if you try to block their attacks and counter with Stupefy, you will often get hit by another enemy while doing so, which is why it is highly recommended to focus on dodging their attacks and positioning yourself so that you aren’t surrounded. Another reason why you shouldn’t rely on Stupefy is that it doesn’t break enemy shields on hard difficulty, which significantly reduces its usefulness during this fight.
- Be sure you have enough Maxima Potions and Venomous Tentaculas before starting this fight. They will make things much easier.
Hopefully, this guide will help you defeat Victor Rookwood and his lot on hard difficulty. Thank you for reading and see you soon with more guides for Hogwarts Legacy.